Last night I finally got around to upgrading from the Edgy Eft version of Kubuntu to the recently released Feisty Fawn version. The process was amazingly simple. I updated all of the existing packages that needed upgrading and then the system very nicely told me that there was a completely new version of Kubuntu that I could upgrade to. So off I went and started the upgrade process.
The only place that I had any problems was with the MySQL configuration. A number of modified configuration files needed to be replaced as part of the installation. I had knowingly modified the
/etc/mysql/my.cnf file so it had a properly networked
bind-address. I needed to do this so my Xbox Media Center (XBMC) Myth TV client can connect to the MythTV backed database.
The entire process took just over an hour and overall I think it downloaded around 700Mb of data. This put a pretty big dent in the monthly download quota but it came down at approximately 350kbps so didn’t actually take that long. Who knows how much I’ve downloaded via Windows updates over the course of a year. So far everything’s working as expected and fingers crossed it stays that way.
Overall I’m really impressed at how easy and relatively painless the upgrade was. Well done to the guys at Kubuntu who put the 7.04 release together.